Learn More about Sleep Disorders & Sleep Apnea in Courtenay and Comox
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
Although snoring can be a sign of obstructive sleep apnea, you can you can suffer from a sleep disorder or sleep apnea in Courtenay and Comox and not snore. OSA is when a person’s airway is completely or partially collapsing while they are asleep. This is a common disorder in which a person has one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breaths while you sleep. These pauses can last from a few seconds to minutes.
Associations between OSA and the following health risks have been found:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- Tiredness and sleepiness
- Difficulty concentrating
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Weight gain / difficultly losing weight
Take the Epworth Sleepiness Scale Test if you think you may suffer from OSA
Answer the following question for each scenario on a scale of 0 to 3. Add your total from all questions together to receive your score.
How likely are you to doze off or fall asleep in the following situations?
0=No chance of dozing 1=Slight chance of dozing 2=Moderate chance of dozing 3=High chance of dozing
- Sitting and reading
- Watching TV
- Sitting inactive in a public place (e.g. a theater or a meeting)
- As a passenger in a car for an hour without a break
- Lying down to rest in the afternoon when circumstances permit
- Sitting and talking to someone
- Sitting quietly after a lunch without alcohol
- In the car, while stopped for a few minutes in traffic
If you received a score of 10 or higher, this could be an indication that you are suffering a sleep disorder or sleep apnea in Courtenay and Comox. Dr. Nasralla is full trained to help and aid in the treatment of OSA. Please call to book a consult today.